Wednesday, June 27, 2012

30 Days of Writing - Side of the Road

When I looked at today's theme all that kept coming to my mind was the Grateful Dead singing "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad." Now I can't get that song out of my head and that is making it hard for me to write a coherent post for the topic.

I only saw the Dead play one time, but it was quite the concert. The band played with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. Like hitting the Trifecta, hunh?


=======================================
She saw the blue lights in her rear view mirror. "Damn," she thought, "now I'll be late for dinner."

It was a small country road with only one lane and no shoulders, so she kept driving very slowly until she came to a part of the road where she could pull over safely.

The young officer got out of his car and approached the driver's side door. As he neared, she lowered the window. At least she knew better than to attempt to get out of the car. She took her hands off of the wheel and lowered them to her lap.

"Do you know why I stopped you?" the officer asked. A loaded question if there ever was one to answer, she took a deep breath.

"No sir, not really," she said. He was maybe three or four years older then her, but she thought that adding the "sir" couldn't hurt her situation. As she flashed him a big smile, she slipped her engagement ring off and into her lap in case she had to hand him anything.

"Did you see me pass by you headed in the other direction?"

"Yes, sir," she quickly answered, "back in the other county where the speed limit is 55." She hoped the he had clocked her there, as she was currently in a 45 MPH zone. She took it as a good sign that he had yet to ask her for her license and registration.

"You were going 64, when you passed me." He stared at her as he spoke.

Unrattled, she replied in a truly sarcastic tone, "In this car?" She was driving a small 5-speed import. It could and had easily sped along at 80 MPH, but looked like it couldn't get over 35 without a pacemaker and a flux capacitor.

He backed up a few steps and took a long look at her car from the road. "Well," he said, "I thought it was you."

"No, sir, not me, must have been another car that was in front of me." she added to the conversation without batting an eye. Although, if she had to bat her eyes at him to avoid a ticket, she would do so quite convincingly.

"Um, I guess you can go now," he said with hesitation and questioning in his voice.

"Thank you, sir," she spit out as she quickly rolled up her window.

She took off and left that poor confused man standing alone on the side of the road.


----------------------------------------------
This 30 Days of Writing Challenge is brought to you courtesy of Nicky and Mike. They managed to convince a bunch of us to play along. If you want to read more cheesy posts, check out the ramblings of the crazy gang listed on the Linky thing at the latest post at We Work for Cheese.

12 comments:

  1. Although I have not been deputized to do so, I think you deserve at least 50 points for referencing Flux Capacitor. Hopefully Nicky agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to remember that line if I am ever stopped for speeding again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the addition of the Flux Capacitor, too. Definitely took me "back". Great story - fact, fiction or a little of both?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when we can outsmart the authorities (whoever they may be). It doesn't happen often :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great little story! Rings sort of true as well! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done, LM. Take an extra 100 points. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cop would have thrown ME in the slammer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I panic under pressure. I probably would have served EXTRA time at the police station.

    But then again, that might not be a bad thing... could keep my eyes open for Detective Stabler.

    *slurp*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last time I was stopped by a cop, I scared him off with my neurotic housewife routine. He was happy to see me leave.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day!