Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I've Changed

During our lives we change things:
Diapers
Jobs
Phone Numbers
Homes
etc...

It is not a debated idea that our life events change who we are as human beings. Sometimes these changes are small and we take no notice of them. Other times we have profound changes that are quite obvious. Often, I think, we don't recognize these changes within ourselves.

One of my changes hit me on the head with a sledgehammer recently, and I certainly took notice.

It was Christmas Eve Eve - yeah I guess that means Dec.23rd. We were having a brunch for about 16 people the next morning and I had been cooking for a large portion of the day and really enjoyed being in my fantastic kitchen.

Suddenly my kitchen sink/disposal stopped draining. Now this precise thing had happened when I was preparing Thanksgiving dinner, so at first it didn't really surprise me. On Thanksgiving my Hubby had used a pressure plunger to clear the clog and all was well. Naturally, I called him to see if he could perform an encore.

He tried. Multiple times. No drainage. Off to the store he ran to get some clog-busting chemical bomb to clear the way.

The Hubby continued to treat and plunge with no success, and I continued cooking and creating more dirty dishes. Suddenly as he used the pressure plunger one more time, the second drain decided it had had enough and spewed water straight up into the Hubby's face and all the way past him, up the window, and towards the ceiling. After he cleaned off his face, he looked down and water was gushing out from the doors under the sink. Of course it was.

The Hubby proceeded to take the pipes under the sink apart, thus creating a larger pond near the sink. It was quite a sight. I was still trying to cook and as I attempted to microwave some soup for Her Royal Cuteness, I noticed that it had emerged from the microwave stone cold. After trying to heat it again, and then attempting to just boil water, I discovered that the microwave was completely dead. Of course it was.

Now, the old me might have started to cry or curse or some other type of useless protest against the appliance gods that rule the kitchen. ( You do know that your appliances have suicide pacts, don't you? )

Nope, not this time. If anything, the past few years have calmed me down and grounded my emotions. We cleaned up the mess, laughed and joked about what was gonna break next, and then tried to remember how we did things like melt butter before we had microwaves.

8 comments:

  1. A little power failure is all it takes for me to appreciate civilization. Yes, we must remember the old ways sometimes, when the appliances fail us. I had a stove quit on Christmas Day once, it's Murphy's law, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude. That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sounds to me like you've changed for the better. If you can keep your cool with guests soon to arrive and your kitchen out of commission, you are truly remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you- learning to just roll with things. After a while it's all just "whatever" and you deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously think my kids would starve without the microwave. My husband too for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! It's been a while...
    If we can roll with the punches, we are not only happier, but healthier as well. Modern conveniences are great! Right up until the stop working...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this post and the fact that you did NOT freak out. Instead you found the funny. And embraced it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been gone for months and I've missed you! What a great story. I know this so well because my husband and I have reached this same level of settled-downness about almost everything too.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day!